Employment Opportunity CHIEF FINANCE AND OPERATING OFFICER (CFOO)
Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig - Sault Ste. Marie ON CANADA
Date of Posting: September 13, 2017
Closing Date: This position is open until filled. Start Date: To be determined.
Phone: (705) 942-5069 Fax: (705) 942-3947 Toll Free: 1-866-660-6642
7 Shingwauk St. Garden River, ON P6A 6Z8
Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig (SKG) is an Anishinaabe owned and governed institute of higher learning located in Sault Ste. Marie, ON Canada. Established in 2008 to serve a unique role in post-secondary education in Ontario, SKG is a centre of excellence in Anishinaabe education offering culture-based, university level education. SKG is one of nine provincially recognized Aboriginal Institutes (https://www.ontario.ca/page/aboriginal-institutes) within Ontario’s post-secondary environment and operates in partnership with Algoma University (http://www.algomau.ca) on a shared campus, which comprises the original “Shingwauk Trust” property established in 1875.
SKG’s strategic plan calls for program expansion to improve and diversify the success of Anishinaabe learners and to build understanding across cultures through education. SKG is inclusive and welcomes all Indigenous, Métis, and Settler learners to its programs.
Under the direction of the Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig (SKG) Board of Directors initially, and later the President, the CFOO manages SKG’s daily financial and administration matters including, but not limited to, asset management, transactions and processes, risk management, finance and administration policies, and payroll, insurance and benefits. The CFOO is responsible for the timely management and analysis of transactions, ensuring all financial duties are completed in compliance with all applicable legal requirements, agreements, professional standards, and governance and operating policies. The CFOO plays a leadership role in SKG’s strategic planning. and in SKG realizing Chief Shingwaukonse’s vision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Chief Finance and Operating Officer (CFOO) is directly for the financial and operational management of SKG, the Anishinabek Discovery Centre, and other facilities as they are developed. The position works as part of the senior leadership team and Board of Directors, which are accountable for SKG’s leadership, vision, and strategic direction.
Additionally, the CFOO works to strengthen SKG’s partnerships with Indigenous communities
and other partners. The CFOO is also responsible for supporting SKG’s core academic mission by enhancing the institutional environment supporting student success. The major impact of this position will be to improve significantly the financial and administrative supports that facilitate the success of students in their studies and graduates in the workplace. The CFOO will lead a team of staff and carry out the vision of Chief Shingwaukonse.
AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
▪ Planning and Analysis ▪ Financial Management
▪ MBA or equivalent/similar from a recognized post-secondary institution
▪ Proven experience in a senior management position or relevant
▪ Demonstrated training and experience with strategic planning, implementing plans, and achieving desired
outcomes for multiple initiatives in both politically and culturally sensitive environments.
▪ Demonstrated training and experience with Financial Management, including experience overseeing
▪ Demonstrated training and experience leading high-level organizational change.
▪ Demonstrated training and experience leading staff, work teams, project teams, and working committees,
including modelling effective teamwork and collaboration for same.
▪ Demonstrated training and experience with issues management, engagement, and consultation with others.
▪ Demonstrated integrity and ethical conduct; and values Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
▪ Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills.
▪ Demonstrated effective verbal and written communications skills.
▪ Demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning.
▪ Professional designation in Finance (CGA, CMA, CA, or recognized equivalent).
▪ Senior post-secondary or government experience.
▪ Thorough knowledge of Indigenous cultures, histories, protocols, issues, demographics and social
structures, and approaches to teaching and learning.
▪ Positive experiences and/or connections with Indigenous communities.
Location: This position will be located at the Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig Campus, SSM, ON. Salary: To be determined based on qualifications and experience.
A detailed job description is available upon request.
The following items must be submitted:
1. A cover letter outlining relevant experience and qualifications. Please reference areas identified within the posting (i.e. fields of demonstrated excellence).
2. A curriculum vitae/résumé outlining relevant experience and educational background.
3. Names and contact information for three professional references.
The application materials can be sent to the attention of Deanna Heyde, CAO:
1. By email: email@example.com; please put “CFOO Application” in the subject line. Application materials should be submitted as a single combined PDF file with the file name identifying the applicant; OR
2. By sealed envelope mailed or hand delivered to: Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig, 1550 Queen Street East, Sault Ste. Marie, ON CANADA.
We seek diversity in our workplace. Preference will be given to Anishinaabe candidates whom meet the required qualifications. Women, visible minorities and individuals with disabilities are also
encouraged to apply.